Thursday, January 10, 2008

Recovery Run

I am really trying hard to follow the marathon training schedule, but it is difficult when you don't have assigned group runs. Last night I did not want to go at all. I didn't even have a good reason...it was a beautiful night, I felt good, even Bill said he'd run with me. I IMed him at work "You have to make me run tonight because I don't want to." So he did. When I got home he was already dressed to go out for our run.

So we did a 5k recovery run in Riverside Park. Bill has decided that he is running with me in the evenings since we don't know enough about our neighborhood yet to know if it's safe. It's probably actually a good thing, because that way we will encourage each other to run when we don't want to. The only bad thing is that we are not good for pacing with each other. I have to keep yelling at him to slow down, and I automatically run faster when I run with him. When we got to Grant's Tomb in 15 minutes (it is about 1.7 miles away) I had to yell at him: "Bill! This is my recovery run!!! It is not supposed to be at a faster pace than my long run!"

Afterwards, I sat on the couch and read my new Runner's World (it finally came!). I'm sure Bill really enjoyed this (sarcasm) because I truly made it an interactive experience. I can't help myself from pointing things out "WHOA! Look at Paula Radcliffe's stomach! And she just had a baby 10 months ago!" or reading passages aloud (like about the Minnesota Marathon where they took pictures of everyone at the finish and everyone who had earphones was disqualified and banned from running in 2008!!!!) I especially had a lot to say because there was a huge article about the Chicago Marathon breakdown where Runner's World launched their own investigation into what happened. It was a really good (and fair) article and brought up more things that I didn't even know happened. Every issue of that magazine I can't help reading cover to cover.

So I guess that seals the deal: I am a true running dork.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you'd gotten that issue of Runner's World. I was interested to hear your comments on the Chicago article since you experienced it first hand. And I can't believe that about the Minnesota marathon and the ipod-ers either! Do you think Cincinnati would ever do that? I'm planning to run the Pig (half/full - undecided at the moment) and would really like to have my ipod. Thanks for keeping up the blog. You help keep me moving.

Unknown said...

I hope Cincinnati wouldn't do that! I told Bill that people are just going to find another way to break the rule anyway...clear headphones? wireless? But honestly, I've found that I don't need my ipod DURING the marathon. I didn't have it at all during Chicago (not my choice since I lost it, but I was fine all the same :)

March said...

:)