Thursday, March 13, 2008

Gambling

Let's hope that I'm lucky with odds...

I was online today trying to figure out what my odds are of getting into the New York Marathon. I have been holding off on my application, because I JUST joined the NYRR, and there is a section on the application that asks for your membership number. I don't think it makes a difference, because I didn't join until this week and I haven't run 9 races with the NYRR anyway (if you registered by January 31st of last year and ran 9 NYRR races, you are guaranteed entry). But when I got my email receipt it said to wait for your membership number if you were going to register for the NYC Marathon. So I figured that was important.

Anyway, what sucks is that I don't get my number until next week via email and it's 2-4 weeks before I get my actual card. I KNOW it shouldn't really matter since the whole thing is a lottery and they don't start drawing until June, but I am still antsy about the whole thing. I want to get in really badly. (It's kind of like how I sent my college applications in waaaaay ahead of time even for the schools that didn't have rolling admission).

The other thing that stinks is that I was reading this thread on Runner's World. Apparently, it's MORE DIFFICULT to get in if you are a New Yorker!!! What?! No fair!
I don't know where this comes from, but two people mentioned it. Of course the official website is of no help on this issue.

I guess I just have to cross my fingers.

1 comment:

julie said...

not knowing must suck, i can only imagine. good luck!