Monday, March 31, 2008

Hurrah for Me!

I had a surprisingly good run this weekend.

The thing is, I felt REALLY SLOW. I kept telling myself "That's okay. You slacked off this week and it's just paying you back. Don't worry about the time. Just get the miles in. You can worry about the time next week."

I know that I should have an idea of my pace, but I seriously canNOT look at my watch during a run. Bill is the opposite. He asks me about every two minutes if we are on pace. We've even fought about it during a run. So, when I'm on my own, I do not look at my watch at all. It just seems to make my run longer if I do and also I then become obsessive about going too slow or too fast. I suppose on my longer runs I try to keep track of it more, but this was a 9-miler, so I figured that I shouldn't obsess about it. I had some other signs that I was just about at the right pace anyway. Like, in my running mix every time I get up to Harlem at the top of the park "Pump It" is finishing and "O.P.P." is starting. Since I listen to one of two mixes every single time it is a good way to figure out my pace. I thought I was a little off because "O.P.P." didn't start when I thought it should have.

Turns out I was actually going FASTER than usual. When I started moving across town to Riverside Park I looked at my watch and didn't believe it! Seeing my time gave me an extra boost of energy and I finished with a 1:18.52!!! NO WAY!!! That is an 8:45 pace for NINE MILES!

I was so very excited.

2 comments:

RunSarahRun said...

Hey, Emily! Sounds like you are doing great. It will be so good to see you this weekend. I just got back from Argentina and was a major slacker, so I hope I can keep up with you! See you Saturday!

Judi said...

I had a great 9.3 mile run for the Mini-Heart. Average 9:07 - great job on your time!