Thursday, March 6, 2008

Y800s < 140, 29

Those are three different things.

First, tonight was my Yasso 800 workout. All training season I've been kind of mad that I couldn't find a track to do them. I didn't think about doing them on the treadmill until this morning. I always dread Yasso 800s like I dread going to the dentist. But, like going to the dentist, I know that they are good for me. Unlike going to the dentist, I always feel better after doing them. Since I've recently revised my marathon goal to a 4:30 I also had to revise my Y800 pace. I was freaking out about this until my husband pointed out that it is the same as my 10k pace. I had to do 4 of them this time, and I must say, I had a pretty good workout. I am feeling more and more psyched about my new goal. This weekend is my 16 miler, and I want to see how my new pace fits into that. I can't believe I'm already at that high mileage!

The other good news is that when I hopped on the scale today I found that I've lost a pound from last week. Not a big deal, I know, BUT my big plateau seems to be 140...and with my 1 pound loss I've FINALLY gotten under it! Maybe I will only be Alcoholic this year instead of Alcoholic Athena. I'm also losing inches everywhere! 2 off my belly since the end of January. I attribute this to my healthier diet (which actually includes eating MORE calories), all the walking around that I do and the fact that I've added a workout or two to my regimen.

And the last number...29. Tomorrow is my birthday! Which means NO WORKING OUT. And eating cake.

3 comments:

Judi said...

Help me understand the y800's. Is this like running 800 meters in say, 4:30, if that is your marathon pace? If so, how far is 800 meters? A half mile?

Unknown said...

Yes...Since I want to have a 4 hour 30 minute marathon time, the theory is that if I can do 10 4 minute 30 second repeats for 800 meters (a half mile) then I should be able to run my marathon in 4 hours and 30 minutes. You don't do all 10 of the repeats to start with though...you build up to them. You can read more about it here.

Anonymous said...

Yup, the best way to explain it is simply to take your goal time (in hours and minutes) and change it to minutes and seconds. So 800m = 1/2 mile or 2 laps around a standard track.

You try to run (1) 800m in your goal time (4 min and 30 sec) then you have an active rest interval of the same amount of time (4 min 30 sec) without worrying about distance...this is usually just a light job or walk depending on your level of fitness. That's one complete interval (800 + active rest)

Usually you start with 4 intervals and work your way up to 10 by adding one each week!

I actually really like Yasso's!! :)