Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Chicago Marathon: Mile 1-7








OK, one of the big perks of running for a charity is that you get a special tent. Team CdLS' was the "Trophy Tent". This tent has free food and beverages, their own masseurs, and (most importantly) their own port-a-lets. Totally worth it! It was nice to get ready in a fairly calm environment where you don't have to worry about those things. I had prepped myself by cutting out red meat and alcohol for the past two nights. I was coated in Body Glide. I had taken my secret weapons: Immodium and Tylenol 8-hour (to reduce my core temperature and prevent inflamation). Most importantly, I was well hydrated.

The one thing I forgot?
Tums.

Yes, the Immodium helped tremendously, but I think all my nervousness was then diverted into my stomach. Luckily my team captain, Beth had an extra.

We took our team photo and made our way to the starting line. I felt really bad about not being able to meet my Roncker group. But I had no way to get in contact with them. I parted with my family and lined up behind the pace leaders for the 4:45 group. Then I hear my name being shouted. It was Lindsay and Sarah! Hurrah! We chatted about all of our nervousness. Funnily enough, a man standing next to us was also from Cincinnati! They decided to run with the 5:00 pace group because of the heat, so they headed back. I had my ipod with me, but just as a security thing. I didn't think I would use it.

It took 18 minutes for me to get to the starting line. I was a little nervous because in the glacial-paced moving I got pretty far behind the pace leaders. It ended up not being a problem because I caught up with them once we started moving.

It was SO CROWDED!!!! I was right up next to one of the pace guys. He kept weaving, and it was kind of hard to track him for awhile. I was concentrating on staying with them so much that I didn't really enjoy the sites. :( Mile one. I looked at my watch. 10:06. Uh, thought we were supposed to do a 10:52. Then I realized that they had to make up a lot of time because of the water stops.

I had no idea how they were going to do these. Well, at the first one they blew a whistle and we all walked through it. Apparantly the pacers were amazed at how crowded and crazy they were. They started freaking out about keeping the pace. They said we lost a lot of time there. Despite the fact that we were pacing fast, I felt great. I even felt like we were going a little slowly.

Next water stop. No water.

WHAT?

People were outraged. My paceleader (Ken) said they had never seen anything like this before and hoped this wasn't a foretelling of things to come. They figured that people were taking 2 cups instead of one and that no one had expected that.
(Ha! Then why did I get an email on THURSDAY saying: * Be sure to stay hydrated during the race. Make note of aid stations and prepare to utilize them. You will need to drink more to compensate for the rapid depletion of your body's fluids in the heat...they KNEW it was going to be hot. Come on!) Some man was like "I'm going to write a mean note. This is ridiculous!" and the lady by him was like "I'm sure you will be one of 30,000.")

The thing that almost made ME cry though was a little clink I heard and then a smashing sound of electronics being trampled. My ipod was gone. I know, I know, I've gotten my use out of it. But really it was more of a sentimental thing. My husband got it for me as a present when I started seriously running and had it engraved with a message and everything.

OK. I was now extremely hot.
The sidewalks were swamped with spectators. It was so cool! Everytime we went by a big group they yelled "GO 4:45!" and we cheered back.

We ran by a clock at 9:30 and it said "89 degrees." Ugh.

By Lincoln Park (mile 7ish?) I was having a hard time keeping up with the pace group. I think other people were too, because our group had diminished a LOT. I dropped back.

Hardly any water at this stop. I think I got one of the last cups.

It was tough because there was a little uphill and it was just so hot! It was a really beautiful part of the course though...a little oasis in the middle of the city. People were jumping into the fountains and lying down in them before continuing on the course.

I didn't feel too bad about dropping back at this point. I saw a lot of people from the 4:30 pace group, so I knew I was in good company.

I was dying to see my family again, but knew I had 4 miles to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you survived the marathon! Hate to hear about your Ipod. I started running "seriously" about a year ago and my hubby got me an engraved Ipod shuffle too. I'd be sad to loose it. Congrats on your finish!