Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Chicago Marathon: Miles 19-26.2




I first heard the marathon was over by one of the volunteers at the water stop. He said "The marathon is over. From this point on it's just a fun run." That I kind of had to snort at. I have never heard of a "fun run" being more than 2.5 miles. Running 26.2 in the heat (or 19 at that point) is NOT fun. I almost didn't believe him.

Then another volunteer said the same thing a little down the road. "The race is over, folks. Just treat it like a training run." I know I had heard it twice at this point, but really I was having a hard time believing it. I mean, come on, not only is it one of the World Marathon Majors , but it was also the 30th anniversary. Then I guess I realized how many sirens I was hearing throughout the marathon, and the police presence that was suddenly everywhere (like the guy in the middle of the road telling us to start walking). Then, at about mile 20 I actually did see more policemen. This time they had bullhorns. They were telling us the marathon was over. There was no more water. We needed to stop running. We should report to the next aid station to board buses to go back. It was crazy and no one knew what to do.

It was a little creepy, because people were still celebrating and cheering us on.
The cheerleaders at Charity Mile were still doing a routine to "Mickey", the dancers were still dancing in Pilsen. I mean, I was still enjoying it, but it sort of had a creepy "national disaster" type feel to it. The helicopters overhead yelling "The marathon is over. Please stop running." did not help.

Everyone around was just asking "Do you think we're going to get our medals?" I turned around and said "we'd better." Then we talked about how pissing off thousands of runners who have trained months for this and had to walk the rest of the way, by not giving them their medals would NOT be a good idea.

At some point, the firemen opened the hydrants. I was SOAKED. And I suddenly realized "Wait. This is the coolest and most hydrated I've been during the entire race..." And I was being directed NOT to run. Forget it. I was running. I ran off and on, making sure I felt okay and was hydrated.

Everyone was STILL cheering. I feel like it was with even more intensity.

When I got to mile 22 it was blocked off by a bus and some barricades. They were rerouting people. I saw some girl go through the barricade. I followed her. There was NO WAY I was not finishing! They kept yelling at us to stop. Everyone started chanting "BULLSH*T! BULLSH*T!"

I just kept thinking, 'if they think we're going to stop, they do NOT understand the mentality of people who run marathons'.

Finally at mile 24, a cop told us we could finish if we wanted to, we should walk not run, and we WOULD get our medals. Actually, the police and firemen were great. They were just trying to help everyone. One cop car came by and the cop said into the bullhorn "Dr. Phil says stop running." That also made me laugh.

The crowds were treating us like we were heros.
People were still soaking us, and offering us water, and wet sponges, and ice and even wet papertowels. It was so cool.

When we made it back to the Loop I was like "OK. I've got to run this." Especially since I JUST got misted by the huge misting firetruck. I probably would have walked faster at that point, but I had to do that last .25 miles.

I finished at 5:50:11. Ha! So much for my 4:45! But I was proud of myself anyway. And I wore my medal all day.

10 comments:

RunnerGirl said...

Way to go Emily! That's so awesome that you finished despite all the difficulties (and cops!).

nothingeverything said...

This is amazing!!!!! I am sure you're proud. You should wear your medal for a week. No two weeks!!! For all those adventure seekers, imagine running a marathon through a national disaster area. (and running is the national disaster) You're now part of Marathon History. Congratualtions!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was running Chicago too- you have perfectly depicted the mood towards the end. I thought the people of Chicago were amazing- it almost makes me cry to think about them cheering and spraying runners down with garden hoses.
This was my first marathon, and now I am totally hooked.
Congratulations on finishing!

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Wow. Did they actually count you as a finisher? Congrats either way!

When I heard about the disaster this race had become, I immediately thought of you. I really don't know how I'd react if I was there!

My first 1/2 marathon was almost cancelled due to snow (days prior to the race start, however, not in the middle of the race!), and I remember thinking "Noooo! I must run this race!"

Unknown said...

Yes, my time did count and was "official". But the funny thing is, that my place was listed as "NA". On the backs of the medals there is space for you to engrave your name, time, and place. I told Bill I should do that and put "NA" as my place. :)

MeenachPhD said...

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I have been reading your blog since you were training for the Pig and it's been great. I thought about you this weekend when I heard about the race and I'm so excited that you were able to complete it!

Arcane said...

Congrats on finishing and for the detailed race reports! It's admirable that you were able to accomplish what you did

Runner Leana said...

Congratulations Emily! Reading your report - the situation seems unfathomable. A total case of if it can go wrong, it will go wrong. Feel proud of yourself for finishing. You did a great job.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing! I'm glad you got to cross the finish without being picked up by a bus.

Hopefully next year's will be better!

Iron Jayhawk said...

I think you were running right around my husband as you look verrrrrrrrry familiar (I went back to find him on the course).

Congratulations on finishing...and way to go through the barricade!!