Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Ipod Question

Has anyone ever run Chicago? If so, how much is the 'no ipod' rule enforced?

I only ask, because in the Pig, there was a rule, but no one followed it. After much discussion on my blog I decided to take mine with me, and I was fine. I don't remember the exact Pig wording, but the Chicago rule sounds much more intimidating:

No Electronic Devices: The use by participants of video or audio cassette recorders or players, TVs, CD of DVD players, radio transmitters or receivers, ipods, cell phones, computers or any similar devices in the competition area shall not be permitted. Failure to follow these official rules, as may be amended, will result in immediate disqualification, loss of prize money (including bonus prize money, if any), and ejection from the race course.

I don't really want to be ejected from the race.

And I want my medal.

I'm actually okay with not running with my ipod. When I did my 20 miler I actually only listened to it for a few miles. BUT, if this is just some arbitrary rule like it was in the Pig I am going to be MAD if I don't have my ipod. I was planning on bringing my little shuffle with me and just shoving it in my skirt pocket just in case. I know I am a big baby when it comes to running with music, but really, it does make it a lot easier for me. Especially since there is a point in the marathon towards the end (so I've heard) that it is very difficult for people to get to, so there is almost no crowd support.

I can sing in my head of course, but it's not the same.

2 comments:

Arcane said...

I ran Chicago last year, but don't think they had the rule in place. The ipod banning thing is a new development imposed this year by the USATF in any course that's certified by the USATF which includes most marathons. If you're a middle of the pack runner, I don't think anyone will care. I would suggest taking it off and hiding it at the start and finish though.

Anonymous said...

Take your ipod!
Tuck it in your skirt, run the wire up your shirt, and don't put the ear phones in until after you are through the start; if you are really worried. When you get there look around. Everyone else will have an ipod too!
But the rule is really for the elite athletes.

I took mine to New York last year, and there was no issue at all. I'm taking it to Washington this year. Imagine trying to tell 30,000 people that they can't use them. It's just not worth the race officials time. Or bad press (can you imagine that?)
Relax. Have fun. You probably won't even use it.