Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Wet Run

Ok. I DO love running in the rain, don't get me wrong...but Monday was quite possibly the wettest run I've ever had. I have been totally slacking on my runs lately. So I made up my mind that on Monday I was doing the 5 mile loop at Lunken. Even as I looked out the window at my office into the torrential downpour, I forced myself to schedule it into my evening. I even IM'ed Bill at the end of the day: Are you up for a rainy 5 miler at Lunken?

He said sure, so when I got home before him, I made sure I got my running clothes on so that I couldn't back out. Then it was starting to get late, so I called him to make sure he wasn't going to back out. He was stuck in traffic :( We decided that I should head out since we had no idea how long it would be and it was already 6.

It was so so so gross out! It doesn't help that there are these big dips in the pavement by the road that fill up with water. INCHES of water. I felt like I was running on an obstacle course (I had to run with really high knees). I was also splashing water all over myself. Oh well, too late now. Then the rain picked up. Needless to say, I was the only person on the course. I was running it backwards, which I was glad for, because it seems to go faster that way for me.

THEN it started getting dark. Fast. I forgot how dark it's been getting lately. AND I was in the middle of the wooded part. So I started running a lot faster. I kept expecting a call from home. Bingo. Right on time. I didn't even say hello, just "I'm almost done! Less than a mile to go!" Bill told me it was getting dark. I said "I know. I know. That's why I'm running super fast!" I could tell he was worried.

Well, I guess adrenaline gets you going. I clocked a 47:21 for a little more than 5 miles. I guess I can do my 9:09 mile for my 10k if I want. I even have 5 more weeks to go!

Needless to say, I will be waiting for the time change before I go running in Lunken at night again. And I'll probably stick to the roads at night unless I can run with Bill.

No comments: