Monday, March 5, 2007

Race Day 10k

Saturday we did the "Strides of March" 10k for our group run. It was at Lunken airport so I wasn't race day nervous since it is so flat. It was kind of cold and was snowing like crazy! The wind was tossing us all around the course. I tried to keep up with Alice, a girl I usually run with...and for the first 5k that was fine and then she just took off. So then I just concentrated on me getting through the race. I knew I wasn't going to have the 9:09 mile pace that I had in my last 10k because I have been training more on distance which in turn, has made me slower. I was aiming for a 10:00 mile. At each mile they called out our splits and I was making about a 9:30 pace. With two miles left, I picked up the pace. I was feeling okay, but not great, but I kicked it in anyway. I picked off 4 people. There was a guy in front of me who kept walking and then running. I so wanted to pass him. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against runner/walkers. I just get mad at myself when I see them because I think "Hey! I've been running this WHOLE THING. I must be REALLY SLOW if walkers can beat me." I was fighting fighting fighting at the end. He was fighting against me and then I think he just let me finish. I ended with a 59:22:00, which is a 9:35 pace...which I do NOT understand. I was consistently 9:30, picked it up for the last two and ended up with 9:35? Something was off. Maybe the people at each mile weren't really at each mile. Anyway, I am still mad at myself for not getting a PR. I know I am training for endurance but I feel like it shouldn't matter. I am still training harder than I was for the Thanksgiving Day 10K, so I feel like I should be going faster in my training runs and my races. I know. I am just being a pessimist. I am doing great. I have never done this before. blah, blah-blah blah blah blah blah.

No comments: