Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Stalled Again

Tonight I am supposed to do 7 miles with the group. I checked out the route in our email from Coach Fung and it actually looks like an enjoyable 7 miles. Unfortunately I am feeling a bit under the weather. This is especially unfortunate since it is absolutely beautiful out! I was looking forward to running in shorts and short sleeves. I was also looking forward to using my new watch that I got for my birthday this past weekend. It has 100 lap memory which is really great (not because I am running 100 miles, but because most watches that I've looked at have only had a 20 lap memory. How are you supposed to get mile-splits for 26 miles with a 20 lap memory). It also has a really great function where you can set up goal splits and it will count them down for you. For example, if I want to do my first mile at 10:00 pace and my second at 9:30 and my third at 9:30, and then back up to 10:00 I can set my watch to tell me that. The only thing I've used it for so far though, is keeping track of the time I need to ice my legs versus the time I need to not ice my legs.
The other thing that bugs me is that we have 15-16 miles next week. Luckily though, it is light out, so tomorrow, which is supposed to be an off night for me, can be a 7-mile run.

3 comments:

. said...

hello! my sister-in-law was checking out the flying pig website and saw your blog posted. she and my brother are coming down to run the race in may with me. it will also be my first marathon! i am a grad student in arts administration at UC, and i'd be really interested to learn more about your running group. could you clue me in? thanks! and fun blog! it makes me feel good to know others are struggling with someone inside their head telling them to walk up these ridiculous cincinnati hills!

Amber said...

Hey Marathon girl!

This is Amber one of the twins from the running group. Thanks for sending the link to your blog. I really enjoyed reading it! I am sorry you are feeling under the weather. Taking a few days off or doing slow runs will probably help the 15 miler on
Saturday. I will always remember you by the question you asked the first Tuesday night of training...."Can we drink while we train" I remember thinking...if the answer is no i am out of here! Hope you have a good St. Patty's day, and do some celebrating after all of those calories we burn on Saturday! :)

Unknown said...

Hi ruthmeberstine!
In response to your query about running group: I don't even remember how I found them, but last September I decided to sign up for the Thanksgiving Day Race training group at Bob Roncker's Running Spot. It was such a great experience that I decided to join the marathon training group. Basically we meet twice a week for group runs. We have 200 people in the group and 10 coaches who run with us, keep us motivated and give us tips. Sometimes they bring in nutritionists or physical therapists etc to talk to us. It is great and very motivational. I love running in the group so much that I wouldn't think of training in any other way!