Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Treading (Just Barely)

I absolutely cannot stand treadmill. But I realize that it is my best option for non-group runs from time to time if for nothing else besides the safety factor. So last night I cooked up a little workout with the help of an article I found on Runner's World. Everything was on 1.0 resistance to simulate the wind. I was supposed to do:

7 minutes at 6.0 mph
2 minutes at 6.4 mph
2 minutes at 6.6 mph
5 minutes at 6.8 mph
6 minutes at 6.4 mph
6 minutes at 6.6 mph
5 minutes at 6.2 mph
5 minutes at 6.0 mph

So I got to about 28 minutes and I was sweating like crazy, breathing heavy and I had this sharp pain on the outsides of my calves. I decided to check my pulse: 219. Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Time to stop. I felt awful. But I knew I had to stop. There was no way that was healthy. I am just very bummed overall because I feel like my training has not been going well. I feel like I SHOULD be going much faster even in my training and I just can't do it. I can't figure out whether I should push harder and if that would lead to injury (something I've dealt with in the past a lot) or if I should stay where I am. I feel like I am not pushing hard enough because I know of my past runs, but I just really do NOT want to get injured. Rant, rant, rant. I am just frustrated.

No comments: