Monday, June 11, 2007

Finding My Way Around

I think one of the most fun things about running is discovering new routes. I get sooooo bored doing the same route all the time. Unfortunately for me, I get hopelessly lost because I have no sense of direction. Seriously, I can have a map right in front of me and still turn the wrong way (ask my husband, my sister and my friend Valerie). So I have been very very wary of "finding new routes" while I am here in London. Which is sort of a shame, because it is a great city to explore.

So yesterday I said "forget it". I have seen almost all of the bits and pieces of London, so I figured that if I got lost I would at least know where I was.

I headed to Covent Garden which is amazingly close to where I am staying (Bill and I figured that out one night when we were looking for a place to eat). Bad idea. It was still around 5, and being the shopping/theatre district it was super crowded. Detour, and up Holborn High Street. For someone with no sense of direction, and armed only with an A-Z most of the time (which has maps of EVERY street in London, but breaks it down so that you only see a small section on each page) it is FASCINATING to see how all of the boroughs connect. I mean, I have been taking the tube a lot when it would have been faster to walk. I love this about big cities. And now that I know how everything connects, I am getting ready to leave. :)

Oh, and by the way, in answer to my query 'should I run with upper respiratory stuffiness?' the answer is "well, if you can take the headache." My massive headache which started with my run did not end all night. Oh well, it was great to run again after a 5 day hiatis!

No comments: