Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Losing Weight (or Not)

So, I run to run. I mean, I like running just because. I am not trying to lose weight, I am not trying to prevent heart disease, I am not running to lower my blood pressure etc. etc. I am not saying that these are not good things. It's just that since I have been a very active person all my life (year-round swimteam, cross-country team, rowing team, ballet, tap, jazzercise...all at different stages of my life, of course) my blood pressure and cholesterol are low, I have a good BMI, and am on the low end of "healthy" weight for my height.

HOWEVER, I can't help looking at all of those great calculators on-line. I guess in a way, that is good. It's good to check up on yourself every once in awhile to make sure that you are still healthy. Anyway, I was checking out some of the calculators yesterday and found out that at the rate that I train (6 mph: a 10-minute mile) it would take me 326 minutes to lose one pound!!! Now, they stress that you should obviously not try to do this all in one workout (which I never would, well except maybe in marathon training). That's 5 hours and 26 minutes! I don't run that much in a week! I do 30 minutes a day! So basically I get in about 3 hours a week.

That is depressing. No wonder it takes people millions of years to lose weight.
I know, I know, I am gaining muscle too. I can see it. And muscle weighs more than fat. And diet is a factor too (ok, but really, even though I am the fast food queen, I have been eating well here). And exercising lowers your blood pressure, and wards off alzheimer's and keeps heart disease and diabetes at bay, and on and on and on. I know. But you have to admit that it is depressing that it takes so long to lose a POUND.

1 comment:

Runner Leana said...

Wow....that is depressing! Good luck keeping up the healthy trend when you go home.