Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Hyde Park Hills!



We did it! By we I mean my husband and our motley crew of five friends who decided to brave the heat and humidity to run the course last night.

It is funny running with a group that is not a running group because we all just kind of stood at the start looking at each other for awhile until someone was like "uh, so are we going to like, do this?"

And I think that Bill's natural ability with running actually helped me out! My pacing is usually like I blow it all on the first mile and take a steady decline through the rest of the miles. Coach Joe and the Roncker's group HAVE helped me a bit with this by training me with negative splits, but I just can't help it sometimes.

So the first mile I look at my watch 7:16. I YELL to Bill who is injured by-the-way and who is also in front of me by about 30 yards "SLOW DOWN!! 7:13! ONE MILE! SLOW DOWN!" Then we run together. I am thinking 'Great. The rest will be 11 minute miles for me now.' Nope. Mile 2: 10:20. Mile 3: 9:36 (mind you, we had to stop for traffic for at least a minute and a half to not get run over AND this is the one with the big hill). Mile 4 plus whatever the remainder is if you go all the way to Edwards: 10:39. Pretty good.

And all of our friends who do NOT run were AWESOME!!! They finished the entire course doing about a 10 minute mile pace.

I was so happy. Now I am ready.

Afterwards we made shirts for the race. They are wifebeaters and say "LANDORKS" on them in puffy paint. (We work at Landor, and a lot of us are running since our company is one of the founding sponsors). Oh yeah. And they also have bedazzles.

UPDATED 6/6/07: Photo of our lovely shirts

No comments: