Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Marathons, Marathons

So because of reasons that I don't want to go into because it would take millions of paragraphs, I was not able to put my name in the drawing for the New York Marathon. I guess its all right, because I probably wouldn't have made the lottery anyway.

So I was like, oh, I'll just register for the Chicago marathon.
Nope. Closed out.

I really really wanted to do a BIG marathon this fall. OK, I REALLY wanted to do the New York Marathon. (But doesn't everyone?)

I guess there's always next year.

On a cursory search of fall marathons I found a ton. But here's the thing...which ones are the most fun? I feel like I really need an enthusiastic crowd to help me along. It was really helpful at the Pig. Also, I am NOT the fastest runner (although I guess lots of marathons have people running at my speed).

It just makes me anxious that I haven't signed up for one yet, because I will probably have to start my training in July, and I am so anal-retentive about signing up for things on time, getting my paperwork in order, etc. etc.

Does anyone know of any good ones in the fall?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is columbus and akron. I am thinking of running one of those. Akron has a cool logo and gives away free shoes. The problem is I have never run them. You may need to take someone elses word for it.

Julie said...

I have several friends who are running the Maine Marathon in October. I am training for Nike in San Francisco, but I believe that is closed.

Anonymous said...

I heard Columbus is supposed to be great... And you won't have to deal with all those hills... I ran the pig this year (1st marathon), I could have done without all those hills! There's a marathon in Akron where you get a free pair of Brooks shoes if you finish, but I doubt there would be great crowd support there... The pig was great for crowd support...

Mormegil said...

I am planning on running Detroit this year. It is pritty nice, not quite as big but it dose have some neat aspects.

You acctualy run accrosed the bridge to Canada and then back under the river to the US.

To course is mostly flat and fast. And the race is very well orginized.

Doc09MUSC said...

Try the Marine Corps in DC. It is the week before NY and has a great reputation. Sometimes known as the "people's marathon", it is my back-up if my lottery application doesn't get selected for NYC.

Anonymous said...

WOW I can't believe these Marathons are full so quick. I am in the lottery for NYC but I registered in the Marine DC marathon in case I didn't get in. Marine DC is closed now. It closed in about 3 days. I was going to say Chicago but you said its closed. marathonguide.com has a calendar with a pretty extensive location. If you don't get a personal recommendation I would check it out. They have them rated by people who have run them so the list is pretty helpful. I wish you luck. What I did was: I registered for the Flying Pig in May, for San Francisco at the end of July, for the Marine at the end of October (and NYC Lottery) I also registered for Walt Disney in January. I sat down and looked all these up and then just registered for the whole year. It seemed insane back then but now I'm glad I did it.

Carrie said...

You can always still run Chicago with a fundraising team. If you're not the best at fundraising there are some teams that don't require minimums. I am doing Chicago with my friend and she didn't sign up in time so that's what she's doing. It's supposed to be an amazing race--I mean 4,000 ran the Pig full marathon and here 45,000 are running!?! I can't imagine! Anyways, try that if you're up to it.