Thursday, May 31, 2007

He Probably Wants to Kill Me

My husband that is.

Let me first give you some very pertinent information. I am very competitive. It doesn't matter what the stakes are, what the game is, etc. etc. It gets me into trouble a LOT. I remember one time when I was little, my family and another family we were friends with went to play putt-putt. I was such a sore loser (so was my friend Greg though, it wasn't just me), that no one wanted to play putt-putt with us again. Bill (aforementioned husband) will not play Scrabble with me for the same reason.

So here I am, nagging Bill to run. You would love it, I say. At the marathon post-party for my running group, Coach Joe and I almost convinced him to run in the Hyde Park Blast group.

Last night we go for a run. And he kicks my butt. So I acted all sore about it. I was really really trying not to. I was thinking how stupid I was being, but I couldn't help being mad. He asks me if I'm okay. We have found out throughout the years that it is just better to get it all out in the open if something is bugging us. So, unlike a sane woman, who would just say "yeah, I'm fine" I tell him that I am mad.

In fact, I said something like this. "I'm just annoyed. You kicked my butt. I have been training for like over a year, and you haven't even run in a year. It is just so unfair. I mean, I want you to do well. I mean I want you to like running. It's just frustrating."

He very nicely explained that he is just good at running. He very nicely told me that I am a long-distance runner and we only did two miles. He also very nicely pointed out that he would be sore tomorrow and I would be fine. (I guess me being a sore-loser is no surprise to him by now).

I took a shower and I was fine. That is a great improvement from the time it usually takes me to cool down from my stupidness. I just wish I could GROW UP. Errrrrr.

(Oh, and btw, I am very glad that Bill is a good runner. I am just a prat :)

No comments: