Friday, May 11, 2007

It's a Mental Thing

First of all, I am amazed at how quickly my body has recovered. I no sooner had written my entry "Ow Ow Ow" when my legs really did feel better. I was able to walk all over the city of New York on Wednesday, tackling steps and everything! :)

So yesterday I went to Waterstones, which is basically the British version of Borders and I couldn't resist getting a book (on sale!) that was part of a series called "Teach Yourself To"...I picked up "Teach Yourself to Run a Marathon". I know, I know, I just ran a marathon, but that doesn't mean that I can't learn anything new. Besides, I am obsessed.

Already I am scoping out hills to practice repeats on in my neighborhood. Which brings me to today's title.
I started to feel a little anxious about the Hyde Park Blast. I mean, there are a TON of hills and it is usually sweltering that time of the year. I am just not used to running like that. But then I thought, 'you know, when I started marathon training, it was painful to run even 3 miles'. Also I remember amazing myself by saying that I was training mostly in the Hyde Park area. I mean my FAVORITE place to run is in Eden Park, which has no lack of hills. I decided that it is all a mental thing. (Well, not ALL). Because when you train properly, it is all up to you in your head, to get past whatever it is you are trying to get past.

On the day of the marathon, I was not asking myself if I could do 26 miles. I knew I could do it. The difficult part will be coming up with my own training program.

It starts tomorrow! 3.5 easy miles as part of my recovery (no sprints or repeats yet!)

4 comments:

sallen said...

I've been reading your blogs and have been so much feeling the same things. I'm so glad you are continuing.

sallen said...

Thanks for continuing blogs I read them everyday.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on completing the marathon. If you go to runnersworld.com you can customize a training schedule for any race distance.

Anonymous said...

Great job on your first marathon! I have found it best for me to follow a recovery plan. I use the plans and advice in "Marathoning for Mortals" by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield as my guide. It is just as easy to overtrain during your recovery as it is during the training leading up to an event.

Saw your pics on runphotos. I am bib #10740 in the 1/2 marathon if you want to see an older guy running slow!

The Flying Pig is everything it claims to be! The hills, the bridges, the great view from Eden Park, I think, and the wonderful homes all add to the event. The volunteers were just great, friendly and supportive!

Cincinnati should be proud of this event and of all the goodwill it fosters!

Keep on running and writing!
TurtleRunner