Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Whoo-hoo for me!

Despite my lack of motivation, I have run ALL THREE nights this week (if you count the week as starting on Sunday). And I think the sheer repetitiveness of just getting out there and doing it is breaking up my running funk.

It is also actually getting warmer out. Yesterday when I ran it was 70 degrees out! Now I know that this is nothing to you Cincinnatians who are braving 80 plus degree weather, but seriously, I have been wearing sweaters to work every day! This makes me happy because I remember the Hyde Park Blast from last year and the heat was killer. I knew that running in 50 degree weather wasn't going to help me that much.

So last night I did hill repeats again to work on building up my sprinting capability. I did 6 repeats (I made sure I counted accurately this time). I think I am going to have to find a better hill to practice on. Or maybe I will just have to do more repeats. I will not say that this time was easy, but I felt great the entire time. I guess I will be able to better guage that tomorrow when the pain sets in.

I realized last night too...I will still have 2 weeks of training once I get home! That should give me more than enough time to get ready for the race. Hurrah!

Tonight is a no-running night. I am moving into my hotel which I think will be enough of a work out for me. I already lugged one of my suitcases and a backpack .77 miles to work so that I can check-in at lunchtime. The other suitcase is the one I am worried about. It is the one that always gets that bright orange HEAVY label on it at the airport. And one of it's wheels are broken (thank you, Charles de Gaulle). So I guess it will be a weight-lifting night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toughest thing to do is to start running again after your goal has been achieved.

I try to plan out my "running year" so I have a series of goals to work toward. Yes, the letdown is still there but then there is the next goal to meet.

Also, you should be taking it easy for at least 26 days to allow your body and mind to recover. Go easy on the hill repeats and speed work.

You accomplished an amazing goal! Now let your body and mind prepare for your next goal without wearing yourself down. (sorry to be preachy but over training is one of the 3 big reasons for injury)

You are not just a runner now, you are a distance runner!

Congratulations!
TurtleRunner

Unknown said...

TurtleRunner -
You are probably right. I have a tendency to (no pun intended) run before I can walk, and overdo things to excess. I have become much more sensible as I have gotten older, but I can still slip back into that invincible feeling from time to time. It's nice to have someone point these things out to me every once in awhile so that I don't get hurt. :)