Tuesday, May 1, 2007

My Last Run Before the Marathon

My last run is tonight! The schedule says that we are supposed to run tonight, rest Wednesday and get a few miles in on Thursday, but knowing my body (which I have found a LOT about during my training) I know that tonight needs to be my last run.

I just said goodbye to my husband at Victoria Station this morning, and as we were walking to the tube I said "it's funny, but for my last run tonight I am not going much more than we are walking right now." He said that I probably felt like "what's the point?" which I sort of feel like, but on the other hand, I feel like this last run will help me get my pent-up energy out.

My last few runs have been at a faster pace than I usually take, since the mileage is dropping off and my body is so rested. I have felt great! And I feel like it is just enough to get my pent-up energy out and relax me mentally a little bit, but not overstress me, or make me concentrate too much on things like pace. It is nice to just really enjoy and relish the run without thinking too much. I am not worried about dropping the mileage off. I trust Coach Joe and countless others who have run tons of marathons. And if I have the energy that I have had in my past few runs that only reaffirms my belief in the taper. My body can do it. I have programmed it to, and I feel like the 20 miles was in me without rest, so imagine what I can do with rest!

I feel calm about the whole thing. Right now. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of ALL Runner Grrrl!

See you at the race. I'll be wearing running shorts, a tech shirt, socks and running shoes.....I'm sure you will recognize me. Say "hey" as you blow by me on the way to a great finish!

AC

Anonymous said...

No more running from Tuesday to Sunday... That's about 4.5 days with no running right before the race. I would HIGHLY recommend doing a small run Thursday or Friday even if it's just a mile. Just enough to get a little sweat going and then a good stretch afterwards. A mile or two will definitely not hurt your marathon, but not doing this could pose a problem if you have "kinks" that need to be worked out before the gun goes off Sunday morning. Been a long time runner and multiple marathoner and doing nothing for that long before a race is usually not good. That's my two cents - good luck!!