Monday, April 30, 2007

In the Home Stretch

This is it! The last week!
I can't believe how much running has become a real part of my life in these past 4 months.
I can't meet someone new without talking about it at least a little bit.

This weekend, my husband Bill and I met up with our friend Carrie and her boyfriend. Well, he is a runner so we ended up talking about running for awhile . He said I should do the London marathon, and I said I just might try to. He said they are addictive, which is pretty much what I have heard from everyone. Some people say that they would never do one again, but already I feel the experience has been so rewarding. Even if I had a horrible race (which I don't think I will, even finishing will be a great accomplishment) I think I would want to do it again.

Carrie just said she didn't know what would possess someone to WANT to run a marathon in the first place. I told her I felt the same way before, and then I ran a 10k and figured 'why not?' She said "and a 10k is how many miles?" Yes, well when you say 6.2 and then think, 'oh well, I can do 20 more, no big deal!' it DOES sound kind of silly. I have this theory that marathon runners are all a little bit the same kind of people. There is something in them that makes them say 'I can do anything I put my mind to'. I have more theories about marathon runners mindsets/personalities, but alas, that is for another posting.

All I know, is that we all must be just a little bit crazy :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi emily! i've enjoyed keeping up with your posts for the past 3 months. it's been so encouraging to hear the challenges and accomplishments from a fellow 'beginner' runner. i hear what you're saying about the 10K. i ran my first one last aug. at the lady's distance classic. it was such a great experience and it made me want more. i'm doing the 1/2 pig on sunday and the full chicago marathon in oct. i'm so ready for the pig :)

good luck this week and next sunday!!! :)

m.
western hills, oh.

Big Hawaii said...

Hi, Emily,

I love your blog. I have read your blog since I found out it through pig website. Since I trained the marathon by myself, I need something to support me. Your blog does help me.

I want to share with you. I have the same experience as you posted. I ran the 10K in the pig last year. I was planing on attending the half marathon in pig this year. But when I made my final decision, I think what the heck, I have more than four months to train myself. Why can't I go for the full 26.1 miles? It is just double the mileages. I am glad that I made that decision. Here I am, well-trained and very exciting about the race right now. I will become the marathoner very soon. Though the taper make me having a little bit doubt right now. The memory of long distance run seems to me a long time ago. But I think I am going to be fine. My goal is four hours. I can't wait the race day coming.

Cheers,

Mau-Yi

Doc09MUSC said...

E,

Great job on the blog...it's been fun keeping up. I'm looking forward to Sunday as well. Good luck.

B
Charlotte
www.1bite.blogspot.com

Amber said...

When it comes to telling people about why you are running a marathon, I found there are two types of people, those who get it, and those who don't.......running a marathon proves to myself that I am a strong person. I need to remember that on "bad" days......HURRY HOME! It is almost time!!!

Anonymous said...

Runner Grrrl,

I, too, have enjoyed and been inspired by your postings. Wish I would have found them earlier ;-( !

YOU THINK YOU HAVE THEORIES ON MARATHON RUNNERS....let me tell you!? OK, so probably not enough time/space for that. I will tell you though, how contagious this is. I'll try to be brief. OK, so my 15 year old daughter (a sometimes 5 and 10K'er) comes home from school and says remind me to tell you about my substitute teacher at dinner tonight. Long story short, her subsitute teacher was a veteran marathon runner and when he asked who had parents that ran marathons, Steph was the only one. So, she becomes the "straight man" to his 45 minute, hilarious dissertation on Marathon Runners. I laughed so hard, I had tears in my eyes because EVRYTHING HE SAID, every trait he pointed, out Hit home and was soooo true. I just thought it was pretty cool that my 15 year old daughter is getting caught up in it, and saw the humor too!

Hey, YOU ARE A RUNNER! Because of that, you are a little weird, continue to know it, celebrate it, and embrace it!

YOU GO RUNNER GRRRL

AC