Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Periodization

So, I first heard of this concept last Tuesday night at the running clinic we had about being mentally prepared for the race. Basically, it is the concept of breaking down the race in your mind into attainable pieces. I think it makes sense to do this and I have been doing this subconsciously since I have started running (even in high school cross country to some degree). I have no idea how you would get through a race otherwise. It is a little motivational thing for me ("if I can get past this hill...").
This REALLY helped me out when we did the 20. I broke it into
1. the part around downtown
2. the part in Newport (which I felt was already ingrained in me from the Thanksgiving Day Run...which always helps).
3. Downtown to Sawyer Point
4. Sawyer Point to the overlook at Eden Park
5. Eden Park to the Running Spot
6. The Running Spot to Delta UDF
7. Delta UDF to the purple people bridge
8. Done!

So, as I said before...Eastern was LOOOOOOOONG. I am familiar with it from driving to work sometimes, but not in a running way. So mentally, to get through it, I also had to break up Eastern, once I got there and my legs were screaming at me. So I did Delta to Schmidt Fields, Schmidt Fields to the overpass, the overpass to Montgomery Inn, and Montgomery Inn to the Bridge. I don't know why this is such a huge mental block for me. As I understand it is at the end of the race too, so I will really have to get over that.

Also I have been getting those day-by-day emails from the marathon.Every day breaks down one of the miles. I can't handle that. If I broke it down that much I would never finish the race! Nice idea though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! That will really help you.

Last year I kept tellling myself "the race doesn't start untill I get through Hyde Park." Hyde Park square will be packed with people and be familiar to you. Think of that as your send off to the second part of the race. You will get a great boost. Think about how easy it is for you to run 11 miles now, and that is about where the square is.

And then Mariemont will be about the same, not as many people, but a nice send off to Eastern.

But you need nice small pieces like you had for your 20 too. So you feel like you keep making progress.

Things to look for on Eastern:
Along Eastern last year, a church was handing out orange slices. I was hesitant about taking food from non-race groups, but this church really had it together. It was THE BEST ORANGE EVER! I ate oranges for two weeks after the race and none were as sweet as the one I ate at mile 20. I will never forget it.

Fleet Feet will have a booth at mile 21 to cheer on the runners. I know you train with Ronckers, but they will, of course, cheer for everyone.

And those last three miles just keep telling yourself, it just like those easy runs. Trying to visualize each point on your normal three mile route helps too.

That's it you've got it!

Anonymous said...

Luckily the long stretch of Eastern Ave is not so lonely because of all of the bands the organizers have put there. They really help keep you going. Once you get past the big red church, there are a lot of people cheering too.