Monday, April 23, 2007

Impossible is Nothing (Part 2)




Sunday: Marathon Day! (well, for London, not me). Because I was stupid and didn't pick up a course map or anything, I had to rely on a brewery map I got at the expo on Saturday. It had the course on it as well as local pubs along the route. It would have to do.

I took the tube to Tower Bridge which was the 11 mile point. I thought this was good because right across the way the runners would also loop around at 23 miles. The crowds were insane but I got there early enough to get a good spot...right by the BBC camera, in front of the bridge. (I figured he would have a prime spot, so that was good enough for me).

The poor runners! The elite women didn't start until 9, the wheelchair competitors at 920, elite men at 945 and from a second starting point everyone else at 945. And it was HOT !

The crowds went CRAZY. If the crowds at the Pig have a fraction of the enthusiasm that the London crowds had running the marathon will be a completely inspirational event. It was funny too, because you can tell that the runners really thrived on the crowd support. Some would even pump their arms while they were running (exhausting) to get the crowd riled up. A lot of runners actually wrote their names on their shirts or their skin so that you could cheer for them by name. I found this was really helpful because as a spectator I really wanted to cheer for every individual. I also found that when the crowds would smile at the runners the runners couldn't help but smile back. It was really fun.

After watching for awhile I caught the tube to get to the 25 mile mark. The crowds weren't actually as wild here (I guess since they had been out for like 3 hours or more, waiting). However, once again I witnessed the magical connection the crowd had with the runners. As anyone started walking there would be a collective "OH!" or "Oh no!" and then massive encouragement ("Just one more mile! Come on! You can do it!) almost pleading with the runners. They couldn't help but run again and the crowds went wild! It was also at this point that I saw Gordon Ramsay the celebrity chef, running (at quite a good time too).

I started walking to the finish. People were collapsing. The crowd tried to encourage them, attendants grabbed them by the shoulders and ran in with them. Each 200 meters was now marked off.

And then I got to the finish...Green Park with lots of fanfare. I stood up by the palace and looked down on the finishers. There were British flags lining the path and a huge band. It was all very inspirational.

I can't wait for the Pig! (Yes, I know it won't be as big, but I get to run this one!)

Oh yes, and I will post pictures later. I was an idiot and forgot my camera cord, so I have pictures but cannot upload them. :)

2 comments:

Martin Griffiths said...

Hey Emily - nice to see you on Sat! Didn't realise that the marathon finished in Green Park too.

Anonymous said...

When you mentioned the connection from the crowd to the runners. It is true. The fans at the pig are great. They will encourage you to keep going.

Have fun.