Thursday, April 19, 2007

Londoners are the Nicest People

Why? Because I tend to get incredibly lost here.It actually took me 4x to figure out how to get from home to work and vice versa before I finally got it right.

So last night on my run I decided to head into Islington, which is a burrough right next to mine. I headed left on the main road and hit it in no time. I made a little circle around the block and headed back the way I came. I suddenly noticed a park and thought, 'oh that's nice...I don't remember seeing that on the way up'. Not a big deal, I mean it was on the other side of the street. Then, I hit residential area. Hmmm? I turned right and headed up to another main thoroughway. LOST.

I ran (well, I was walking at this point) into a man who says "you're not going to WALK the marathon, are you?" I talked to him for a bit and it turned out his co-worker was training for the marathon that is this weekend. He told me how to get back to Camden, and I figured I knew how to get back from there (I had been there the other day) .I started running again and got to Camden. Nothing looked familiar. I was totally lost. I decided to take the tube back to Kings Cross station...the station by my flat.

Good idea, but there was a fire in an apartment building on Camden Road and the street (and therefore tube station) was closed.

To make a long long story short, I asked a million people for directions and all were very very helpful and nice. I am just an idiot. I get confused here because the street names change like every 2 blocks and there are so many little arteries of streets, it's not set up in a grid. Like, right by my work there is Clerkenwell Green, intersected by Clerkenwell Court AND Clerkenwell Road. Confusing!

I did end up only running the 6 miles I intended, so that was good. I have to get myself a pocket map!

No comments: