Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Last Night's Run

Last night was my last Tuesday with the group. It made me sad. I am so glad that there is another group starting right up after the marathon. Otherwise I would not know what to do. It is for the Hyde Park Blast which is a really fun 4.1 mile (i have no idea how they came up with the distance) race. My company, Landor is a huge sponsor and we design the shirts, so it is a lot of fun for me personally too.

ANYWAY, back to marathoning. I was not only sad because it was my last Tuesday run with the group, but also because of an email that Coach Joe sent out. He said that every year about 20% of the group do not make it to the marathon because of injury. He listed some of the injureds options and then left us with a quote from the Penguin:"The miracle was not that I finished. The miracle was that I had the courage to start." I just thought how sad I will be if I am one of those injured. It scared me into taking special care of myself.

Like, last night I went ahead and grabbed the 9-mile route before we left. (We had the option of 9 or 7.2). BUT after a few words about taking it easy and staying on the non-injured list, against my will, I did the 7.2.

I am looking forward to the 20 this weekend. We have the option of 18 or 20. I picked the 7.2 last night, so that I will be able to do the 20 Saturday. I am already psyching myself up!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Emily, I was just reading your blog and thought I would drop you a line. I dont have much to say, only good luck and welcome to the world of marathoning. I live in Cleveland and was thinking about doing the Pig as a training run for our CVS Marathon so I stumbled upon your blog. Hope you have the race you want. Cheers, Sean in Cleveland.

Anonymous said...

Emily,
You sound more ready every week! You've got the mental game covered!
The Penguin philosophy is to "finish the same day that I start!" You are ready to do that and much more!
Keep up the solid race preparations! You will have a great run!
Run that 20!

The Design Professor, Tobias Brauer said...

Emily,

You'll like your 20. I did my first 20 on this past Saturday. It was tough, but I did finish and it gave me a lot of confidence. I know now for sure that I'll finish on the 6th. I'm definitely not going to have a super fast time but I understand the distance and now I feel like I can win the mental game.

Happy Running, and I'm sure you can do it!

T

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,
I just wanted to say hi. I am Melanie from Washington DC and I'm also doing Flying Pig this year and it's also my first marathon. Not sure what your typical pace is, but we may be close. I'll keep reading the blog. My husband is my trainer, and I'm doing my last long run this weekend- 22. Be careful on that knee thing!

Alice said...

No don't leave! I will miss you! Well, more running in the Blast group, huh?

Alice said...

Don't leave I will miss you! Oh well, Blast running group to come right?