Thursday, July 12, 2007

Bananas and Alligators

So, I am rediscovering some running quirks that I used to experience in high school cross country. I am going to attribute it to the heat, since I have not yet had these things happen since high school.

The first is this gross taste I get in my mouth every time I've gone for a run this summer. When I was in high school I thought it was from bananas because our coach told us that we should eat a banana before every race if we were looking to eat something, because they digest easily. Well, I have NOT eaten bananas before any run since then, because they digest too easily (sorry. I know that is gross and too much information). It is this really really gross taste I get in my mouth. Maybe I need to drink more water or something. I know that I get bad breath after runs (my husband has told me), so maybe this does happen in the winter but I just don't notice it for some reason. At any rate it is gross.

The next is the alligator. This also was a term that our cross country coach told us about. The alligator usually gets you in the side during a run. My alligator has been getting me right in front of my left shoulder...you know, in that little triangle spot right under the ball and socket joint? Anyway, its this cramp that seems unbearable for awhile but eventually goes away. I wish that there was a good way to get rid of it sooner. I have heard all kinds of things, like: run with your hands on your head...it gets your breath in more easily which helps because the cramp is from not getting enough air. Or, grab the muscle and pinch and twist it hard. Neither of these work for me. The alligator has been a frequent visitor to me on recent runs.

I am going to drink lots of water today and hope that that solves the problems. It is sort of my solution I try for everything...sort of like when you call the tech guys with a computer problem and they tell you to restart your computer. Hopefully that will help.

No comments: