Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Repeat, Repeat

So last night we did the whole Grandin/Rookwood area repeat thing. I was really really hoping that we would meet at Game Day Sports Café and run up to Mt. Adams to do hill repeats, so when I looked on the schedule on Monday night I was really dreading practice. It's just that the hills when we start from O'Bryonville tend to be up and down and up and down and up and down, while in Mt. Adams it is just up and down.

Either I forgot what it was like, or we took a slightly different route than normal, because it really wasn't that bad. Besides that, I was in the slow group, so we only actually did three repeats.

I also have selective memory, because I say this every time (in my head at least) in the middle of the workout: hill repeats aren't so bad! To me, they are never as long as they seem. And I tend to look up the hill in front of me and get completely overwhelmed and then only a few seconds later, realize I am already halfway up.

Sure, there is a lot of huffing and puffing, but then at the end you get to run DOWN the hill. Plus, you know you did a hard workout. AND my repeats actually got faster each time (ok, only by like 2 seconds, but that is still faster).

I also think there is just a little bit of me that is actually psycho. I mean, seriously...who LIKES hills? And as slowly as I go up the hill, I seem to always pass people on them in the races. They are like my secret weapons. Last year when I ran the Race For the Cure I DIED and I swear it's because the course was so flat! I guess that doesn't bode well for Chicago. (I do secretly cringe every time someone tells me I will love the course so much more than the Pig because it is so flat!)

Anyway, after the hills we ran Millionaire's Mile (through Grandin, etc.) as our cool-down. Seeing all of those beautiful houses actually really helps the time go by quickly.

All in all, it was another great run!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I started reading your blog while you were training for the Pig. I ran (and absolutely loved) the Pig 1/2 marathon. Now, I'm training for my first marathon and hope to run it in Detroit in October. I also prefer hills over flats because flats get boring after a while. My boyfriend, who runs 3-4 miles four times a week, doesn't understand this. I think its a distance runner thing :) Good luck with your training, and keep up the great blog!!

-Jenn

Unknown said...

Hmmmm. It seems like significant others seem to not get a lot of things about us running girls! (see also my post: Short Runs) But I guess that's ok, I'm sure we don't get a lot about them either ;)