Friday, July 20, 2007

Gen-Y Shortcomings

So, a lot of Gen-Yers, including me, have this little problem with staying focused unless we are continually stimulated. That is why I HATE doing loops in a run. I remember in the Flying Pig Marathon group, the 15 mile run was three 5 mile loops. Luckily, I missed that practice because of injury. I think I would have gone absolutely crazy. It looks like our run tomorrow also incorporates loops. Yuck.

It just makes me realize again how much of running is mental. I will just have to make sure my ipod is loaded up with lots of great songs, so that I can get into a sort of trance-state as I listen to my music.

Also, it is weird to go from the Flying Pig Marathon group to the Fall Marathon group. It is a lot different, because we are all running different marathons...therefore the training schedule is different for all of us. For example, in the Pig group, our Saturday would say 11-12 miles, which meant that I was always running 11 miles. But tomorrow, we will have some people running 6 miles, some running 9, some running 11, and some running 13. Since Chicago is a fairly early fall marathon I will be running 13-14. So I always have to mentally psych myself up, and tell myself that even though I am one of the slowest runners in the group, I still have to do the most mileage.

I will say though, that the Saturday runs are definitely the most rewarding. I can ride all day on the high I get from running those long distances. And I think its kind of funny if I go out that night and my friends ask "how much did you run this morning" and I'm like "oh, like 11 miles..." which in the scheme of marathon training really doesn't seem like a lot, until I listen to myself saying it. I also don't feel guilty about a Saturday nap, then. And of course, I feel like I can eat whatever I want all day.

I guess that is the pay-off for waking up so early on the weekend.

No comments: