Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Short Runs

OK. Last night I went on another 3 mile run around my neighborhood with my husband. I was really trying hard not to be annoyed when he would pass me up so far that he would have to come to a complete stop to wait for me as I chugged up the hill. Or as he doubled back to catch up with me like he had boundless energy as I was huffing and puffing. And really really tried when he told me that if we sprinted the last quarter of a mile we could make a nine minute mile. That is when I broke my niceness rule and said "you go ahead. I just want to finish." Don't get me wrong. I like running with him. It is just difficult when I feel like I am dying and just want to get it all over with to have someone who doesn't even run as much as I do run loops around me. My fatal flaw? Competitiveness.

He realized he was annoying me and asked me later on our walk with Benvy, our dog. I said basically I cannot STAND 3 mile runs. I feel like I am dying on them. Which he didn't understand. Because logically, how can I go out and run 12 miles no problem, but a 3-miler kills me? I have no idea. I really really hate the three mile runs on Mondays and Wednesdays. I told him I would pick 12 miles over 3 any day. I don't get it either.

I have heard other marathoners feel the same way, so I know I am not too crazy.

It doesn't make sense, I know.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I was just saying this to my husband last night. After Saturday's run which I felt fine during, I realized that at 3 miles I feel like I'm going to die but if I push through at mile like 7 or 8 I feel like I could run forever. I too hate the short runs during the week, especially around my boring subdivision. Now the question is, which do you prefer, short, 3-mile runs or hill repeats such as tonight?

Amber said...

Hi Emily!

I just had to let you know that when I run with my husband he does the same thing to me! He runs ahead, and then turns around and comes back, and then takes a detour, then catches back up with me. We run EARLY in the morning so for safety reasons he tries to keep an eye on me. I am competitive to, but when it comes to running, I can't compete with my hubby who runs 6 mintue miles sometimes.

I do my 3 mile runs on the treadmill....I can watch TV, and listen to music and just wait for the 30 minutes to go by. Maybe try not wearing a watch if you are wearing one? You are right though, 3 miles shouldn't be so hard!

I had to tell myself during the first marathon training that I was a completer not a competer. You can do this girl!